You’ve found The One. The person you want to spend the rest of your life with. The person you love more than anyone else. But… how do you say that? When you just can’t find the right words, you may end up frustrated and anxious, which only exacerbates your already existing writer’s block. Take a deep breath, stretch your legs, and relax. We have some tips to help get your creative juices flowing again.
- Find a quiet place. It may be hard to tap into your gooey emotion center while sitting in a crowded café or listening to Top40 on the radio.
- Ask yourself some key questions. Where did you meet? How did you fall in love? What do you hope for your future together? These answers make for some personal and touching vows.
- Pretend you’re the only two people in the room. If the thought of wearing your heart on your sleeve in front of hundreds of people is too much for you, forget everyone else. Talk to your partner. They’re the only one who matters in this moment.
- Maybe Top40 afterall? Turn to lyrics, TV shows, movies, authors, etc. Is there a sonnet that captures what you want to say perfectly, or did Ed Sheeran say it better than you ever could?
- Keep it simple. There’s no need to have long vows or make a full speech. Say what you feel, that’s what matters. Think of your vows as a love note to your partner.
Still blocked? That’s okay! You don’t NEED to write your own vows. There are plenty you can find online or you can use some old standards. As long as what you say captures what’s in your heart, you can’t go wrong.