Planning your wedding can be a stressful time for you and your partner. It helps to separate all the things you’ll need to do by date, that way nothing should get overlooked in the hustle and bustle.
First, you’ll want to:
- Create a budget. This will help determine all the other steps of your wedding planning.
- Choose your wedding party. Invite your closest friends and family to play a role on your big day.
- Start a guest list. Knowing how many people will be invited will help you chose an appropriately sized venue.
- Choose your date and reserve your venue and vendors. The sooner you can do this, the more likely it is that you’ll be able to lock down all of your first choices. Call us at 973-907-7750 to book!
Around eight months before, you should:
- Choose your menu. The food you serve your guests will stand out, don’t skimp!
- Buy your dress. You’ll want to make sure you have ample time for alterations.
- Create your Registry. This is one of the most fun parts of the planning phase!
By six months prior, you should have:
- Remember to order all the pieces at the same time. You don’t want to forget the Thank-You cards!
- Bridesmaid’s Dresses. Finding a dress that all parties love can be tricky. You have an idea in your head, but try not to saddle your girls with something they’ll hate for years to come.
- Be sure your travel documents are up to date and look into any vaccinations you may need to travel internationally.
Four months prior:
- Choose your cake. Attend several tastings before making your final decision.
- Schedule hair and makeup. Make a few appointments to try different styles and take a photo of each so you can compare.
- Book rehearsal dinner. If you’re hosting a day-after brunch, book that as well.
- Finalize order of ceremony and reception.
- Purchase rings. Remember you’ll need time for sizing and engraving if desired.
- Send invitations. They should be mailed 6-8 weeks prior, and the RSVP date should be 3 weeks before.
- Review playlist with band or DJ. Come prepared with a wishlist.
- Marriage license. If you are changing your name, it’s best to order several copies.
- Send out final payments.
- Purchase wedding party gifts. These will be given out at the rehearsal dinner.
- Delegate day-of tasks. Choose someone to bustle your dress, carry your things, hand out tips, etc.
- Pick up your dress. And hopefully everything is perfect!
- Break in your shoes. This one is very important if you want to be able to dance the night away!
- Pack for the honeymoon. Don’t forget to account for any seasonal changes.